Article 1. Application of these Terms and Conditions
1. LINE Corporation (the “Company”) sets forth these LINE OpenChat Terms and Conditions of Use (these “Terms and Conditions”) and provides users with the LINE OpenChat service (the “Service”) subject to users’ compliance with these Terms and Conditions.
2. These Terms and Conditions shall be applied together with the LINE Terms and Conditions of Use separately provided by the Company. If there is any inconsistency or conflict between any provision of these Terms and Conditions and those of the LINE Terms and Conditions of Use, these Terms and Conditions shall apply in preference thereto.
3. The Company may modify these Terms and Conditions and the Service without giving prior notice to users. If a user continues to use the Service after such modification is made, such user shall be deemed to have agreed to such modification of these Terms and Conditions and/or the Service.
Article 2. Definitions
The terms used in these Terms and Conditions shall be used with the following meanings:
(1) “Posted Contents” means the contents that users have posted, sent or uploaded to the Service.
(2) “OpenChat” means a group that users create or participate in through the Service.
(3) “Talk Room” means a place in an OpenChat where group chats and/or interpersonal chats created or participated in by users are held.
Article 3. Rights and Handling of Posted Contents
• Users shall continue to maintain their rights pertaining to the Posted Contents in the Service and the Company shall not acquire any rights therein for any purpose other than to use such Posted Contents within the scope of the purposes set forth under Article 4 of these Terms and Conditions; provided, however, that users shall be deemed to have granted to the Company a royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide license to use, for any services and promotions (including the Company’s right to make modifications or amendments within the scope that it deems necessary and appropriate, as well as the right to sublicense such usage right to a third party with which the Company forms an alliance), only the Posted Contents that is disclosed to other general users who are not friends in public Talk Rooms within a public OpenChat.
• Users agree in advance that all information that they have posted on their accounts will be deleted if and when the Company terminates its provision of the Service.
Article 4. Use of Information under the Service
• Users agree that the Company may confirm and use each type of information relating to users within the Service (including, but not limited to, profile information set by users, users’ internal identifiers, messages sent and received within the Service, Posted Contents and logs (including sending and receiving status, status of message opening, status of clicking on links, etc., and video viewing status)), and may share such information with its subsidiaries or affiliates (*) (collectively, “Group Companies”) or its subcontractors, to the extent necessary to achieve the following purposes:
• Prevention of unauthorized use of the Service;
• Development, improvement and statistical analysis of services provided by the Company or the Group Companies; and
• Provision of the optimized services by the Company or the Group Companies (including the transmission of advertisements and content from the Company and/or third parties, and the input auxiliary function).
*The definitions of “subsidiary” and “affiliate” shall each be subject to the definitions stipulated under the “Japanese Ordinance on the Terminology, Forms, and Preparation Methods of Financial Statements, etc.”
• The Company will retain profile information set by a user in each OpenChat within the Service in order to display such profile information within the Service even after the user leaves the OpenChat or delete his or her LINE account.
Article 5. Effect of Users Breach of these Terms and Conditions, etc.
If a user has breached or is likely to have breached any of these Terms and Conditions, or if any significant event otherwise arises which makes it difficult to allow a user to continue using the Service, the Company may, without giving any notice to such user:
(1) Delete any Posted Contents, OpenChat or Talk Room;
(2) Cause any Posted Contents, OpenChat or Talk Room to become inaccessible for third parties;
(3) Suspend or delete such user’s LINE account;
(4) Suspend the use of all or part of the Service; and/or
(5) Terminate the provision of the Service.
In addition, the criteria used by the Company regarding the actions described above shall be subject to guidelines separately set out by the Company.
Article 6. Rights and Responsibilities at OpenChat
• The administrator of each OpenChat may delete any Posted Contents of other users within the OpenChat that is under his/her administration and may cause other users to withdraw from such OpenChat, and other users shall agree thereto.
• Any dispute or problem between an administrator of an OpenChat and any other user, or any dispute or problem between users, shall be resolved between such parties, and the Company shall not be responsible therefor.
• If an administrator of an OpenChat deletes the LINE account that he/she was using as an administrator or has not been using such account for an extended period of time, or the Company otherwise deems such administrator to be inappropriate as an administrator, the Company may forfeit his/her authority to administer such OpenChat and grant such authority to another user, in accordance with the method set forth by the Company, and the Company shall not be responsible for any disadvantage suffered by such administrator as a result thereof.
Article 7. Termination of the Service
• The Company may terminate all or part of the Service for its own reasons.
• When terminating the Service, the Company may notify users by delivering a notice within the Service or by any other method which the Company deems appropriate.
Article 8. Governing Law and Agreed-Upon Exclusive Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Japan, and, depending on the amount involved, the Tokyo District Court or the Tokyo Summary Court shall be the agreed-upon exclusive court of first instance concerning any dispute between a user and the Company arising out of or in relation to these Terms and Conditions or the Service.
Date of Establishment: June 26, 2017
Date of Revision: July 30, 2019